Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Standing Ovation

I went to watch the movie Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium this weekend with my sister, and my nieces and nephew. It was an entertaining 80 minutes (like all Hollywood films, there were a few things I felt like saying "Er?!"), but there was one line that I just loved--it said (more or less) "Your life is an occasion, rise up to it..." What a wonderful philosophy!

Our lives are not just a series of random events that are connected by a common denominator. Our lives are a symphony--a grand event, with a spectacular (and eagerly awaited) start, to (hopefully) a standing ovation finish. Every note is an event worthy of standing alone, but made so much more sweet by sharing it with the melody or harmony that goes along with it.

And the audience--well, they are more than that. They are supporters of the composer, the written piece, and the musicians. They will relive each movement with relish, and be taken away to another time when they hear the faintest strain of the melody.

And the best part is that a symphony is well planned, well organized, and well loved. They cover all moods, emotions, and seasons. No matter what the piece, there are always fans. There are also always critics.

I am trying to let my symphony be an event, when it draws to a close, that ends with a standing ovation. Not for me, but for the composer. I want my life to reflect the craftsmanship of a master.

No comments: